Tuesday, December 27, 2011

New "hot" spot experience

Thanks to Brandon and Chris from 'Kayak Fish the Great Lakes' for showing me a new spot yesterday.  The Lake Erie warm water discharge is quite a "Time Machine" of sorts.  We arrived on a 40 degree day to the shallows off of Lake Erie in 39 degree water.  A winter chill was in the air as we paddled a good half-mile to "the hot ponds". 

I was amazed at the surface action of spawning bait-fish and a variety of other fish like carp, gar-pike, sheephead and bass.  The water was literally boiling!  Surface temps in the pond were in the mid-sixties and it mirrored a mid-May trip out on one of Michigan's many other small lakes.

The action was spotty, as Chris, Brandon and I managed a few small bass and sheephead.  The winds picked up and blew at quite a good pace, making the fishing experience in a kayak a little tough. But hey, late December kayak fishing anywhere is a blessing in itself.

 I do plan on heading back out this week to another spot, but the weather looks like it is going to make it tough.  I think winter is about to officially arrive.




                                      Not your "typical" late December experience for Michigan.



I had a chance to try out the new Quantum baitcasting reel, works perfectly!

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!! Could you recommend a fishfinder for my kayak? Do you have a gps on yours?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year sharktooth! Yes I have a handheld garmin gps that I can mount on the kayak. I have the Hummingbird 565 finder, without gps. I would recommend a hummingbird combo finder with gps built in. They are not as expensive as they used to be and I will be looking at one for my next kayak in a year or so.

    ReplyDelete