Saturday, December 17, 2011

Fall of '11: One for the Ages

When you have a need to fish for Michigan's bounty of trout and salmon like I do, you just can't be satisfied with the type of season I started off with.  I only had a few short opportunities to chase the fish I love to pursue, and my luck was running very short.  Trips to the far reaches of Michigan's Salmon Hot-Zones had only resulted in a few hours of frustration and insomnia.  With the Autumn season getting short, and my patience too, I was ready to call it a year. 

That changed when I had a premonition.....HIT THE THUMB!



15 Pound Lake Trout taken on a Challenger lure, trolled



Three awesome Lake Huron Brown Trout and a Steelhead

Lake Trout can be taken on "the jig"



4 comments:

  1. Very good videos, you inspired me to fish from my kayak. What type clothing do you recommend and accessories ie rod holders etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharktooth,

    For the cold water seasons, I recommend the use of a drysuit if you have one or can find one. That said, if you feel comfortable hitting the water without one I would make sure you wear clothing that will not make you sweat while paddling, but still keep you warm enough for the conditions. Wear a base of moisture wicking polyester clothing followed by warmer layers.

    As far as in your kayak, you can do just about anything. You can install rod holders for trolling, install a fish finder, add gps, lighting, storage crates, and things like this. I would add the rod holders for sure if you plan to "troll" for fish. Once you start fishing this way, it gets addicting.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, Salmax! I often wish that I had video of fishing from my yak...

    I have just returned back from kayak fishing the Glen Arbor area and am not quite done with salmon for the year yet. Have you had luck with fall coho in this side of the state? I live in the Rochester area and it would be a closer drive for me to get my kayak salmon fix!

    Thanks,

    Reinier (Flyfish25)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Reinier,

    I have not had any luck with Cohos on this side. They seem to migrate away after June from the southern Lake Huron ports.
    The browns and some rainbows may be showing up soon though.

    Thanks again,

    Jason

    ReplyDelete